Canada is Free and Freedom is Its Nationality

Sir Wilfrid Laurier

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Re: Caring for Karine

     I would like to thank Mr. Coren for the article he wrote entitled Caring for Karine. I am a young woman and I believe that to allow women to be in combat zones defies everything that society ought to be teaching men about cherishing and honouring women.
 
     Society has indeed degenerated badly when we don't remember that women are to be protected. Not abused, not exploited, not put in harm's way. There was a time when a man would take off his hat to God, O Canada, and a woman. When they would give up their seat on the bus. Somehow that was supposed to be demeaning, so now we allow ourselves to be brutalized and killed and that is liberation.
 
     Women are told that our lives are not meaningful unless we are just like men. I don't submit to this triumph of masculinity. I am a woman, and I will celebrate femininity. I don't need to prove my worth by doing everything the guys do better than the guys do it. A woman by virtue of her very existence demands respect and protection and no one can take that from us unless we do so ourselves. We don't need to buy the lies.
 
     Karine's death was a tragedy and I respect that. I don't want to diminish her life or her sacrifice in any way, but I don't want it to happen again. We used to believe in women and children first. Now we abort our babies and sacrifice our women on the field of battle. Maybe this is progress, but I don't think so.
 
    The feminists can have the body bags, I'll take my seat on the bus.
 
    Rebekah Hebert
 

No comments:

Post a Comment